I am a learning specialist. I can talk academic very well and spout names of famous learning theorists with ease. I can recite learning taxonomies and can explain the nuances about how we learn. I’ve written hundreds of lesson plans. I have taught in classrooms ranging from Kindergarten through the University Master’s level. Yet, I decided to leave this environment.
The world of academics has its place in the world of education, but I found that it didn’t provide me the arena in which I could help people achieve the real-life results they desired. Even my last position offer at a Pittsburgh University as a professor in the master’s level leadership program having an applied component, still seemed artificial.
My teaching experience started with the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation where I developed lessons that were taught in and among the building of the restored historic 18th century town. I taught history completely without textbooks and found the results rewarding. For fourteen years I developed museum education programs for historic sites and became convinced that experiential learning was the way to achieve the most lasting transformational results.
After my tenure in the museum field, I returned to the classroom with my freshly minted Ph.D. in Instruction and Learning to train future teachers and business leaders. This time, back in the classroom, reminded me that if I really want to train people to be successful in real life jobs, I need to be doing so in real life situations. I left the academy and have been working with business leaders, in their company environments, ever since.
Since arriving back in the business environment, I’ve built companies that were then sold with my husband and business partner, Dr. Gene Gatty. I know what it takes to build a successful business. Here are some of the ways I can help build your business to work brilliantly:
- provide leadership coaching so you can communicate with your staff effectively
- provide motivational employee training programs with Beretta, our Great Dane therapy dog
- create work systems so your business runs smoothly
- create strategic business plans
- coach women on work/life balance issues
By blending both theoretical and practical expertise, I created The Business Sphere of Excellence®, a strategic business planning tool that helps businesses run efficiently and profitably. I’m actually, quite proud of that. The Sphere of Excellence® embraces organizational values, corporate culture and strategic implementation. By the way, I also work with Beretta, my certified, Great Dane, therapy dog to offer employee engagement workshops including “Playing Nice with Others, A Great Dane’s Advice to the Corporate World.”
- Join me on Building Businesses to Work Brilliantly. I present two episodes each month which assist leaders with creating, growing, and sustaining profitable business enterprises. Building Businesses to Work Brilliantly is my web-based video program on Pittsburgh BizTV.
- My business blog, at All Business
- Pittsburgh North Regional Chamber of Commerce. I am both an active member and on the Board of Directors
Start working with Dr. Ann today!
Let’s see how we can solve your professional business challenges and help you work and play brilliantly.